From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding a tiny install-mask directory list to gx86
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:35:34
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm working on a tiny project called install-mask[1] which is
4 supposedly a simple tool to enable/disable INSTALL_MASK.
5
6 One of its features would be a common list of named locations where
7 users may really want to consider INSTALL_MASK-ing; in a way similar to
8 USE flags (or even instead of removed USE flags).
9
10 So, for example calling:
11 install-mask -a systemd
12 would INSTALL_MASK all locations relevant to systemd, and:
13 install-mask -a bash-completion
14 would mask /usr/share/bash-completion.
15
16 The question is: where to store such a directory list?
17
18 Keeping it inside project sources doesn't seem right as it would
19 require me to bump and re-release project every time a directory is
20 added. Keeping it in separate package which would need to be kept in
21 sync doesn't seem too good either.
22
23 That's why I'm considering including a tiny file in gx86 (and possibly
24 other repositories) itself. Such a file could have a simple format and
25 specify mappings of 'install-mask names' (similar to USE flag names) to
26 lists of directories and possibly descriptions.
27
28 This way, we could easily keep it in sync and share among our users.
29 Moreover, overlays could easily define their own, specific INSTALL_MASK
30 locations like they can do with USE flags right now.
31
32 [1]:https://www.github.com/mgorny/install-mask/
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny