From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libxul.so in gentoo
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 22:55:25
1 On 21 October 2012 18:14, Jauhien Piatlicki <jpiatlicki@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > May be a stupid question, but
4 > Both firefox and thunderbird have xul library. Before there was a
5 > separate package xulrunner in the tree, but as Mozilla does not provide
6 > it as a separate package now (as far as I remember) both firefox and
7 > thunderbird use there own libxul.so. It seems this is the same library
8 > (Or am I wrong?). So may be it could be splitted into a separate
9 > package? (The reason is its compilation takes a lot of time on week
10 > machines and compiling it one time would be better than twice). Also as
11 > far as I can see xulrunner is splitted into a separate package in Debian
12 > and at least Iceweasel uses it.
13 >
14 > Jauhien
17 AFAIK, building Firefox and Thunderbird (and let's throw Seamonkey in
18 there while we're at it) against a shared libxul is considered
19 unsupported by upstream, which is why we do not do it. If compile
20 times of mozilla products are annoying for you, feel free to try the
21 -bin variants instead (firefox-bin, thunderbird-bin, seamonkey-bin).
22 The dependencies aren't too crazy, they work pretty well, they get
23 stabilised at the exact same time as the source packages and I try to
24 bump them as quickly as or quicker than the source builds.