From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 08:39:31
1 On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:42:57 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Andreas K. Huettel
5 > <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Stable implies "not so often changing". If you really need newer
8 > > packages on a system that has to be rock-solid, then keyword what
9 > > you need and nothing else.
10 >
11 > ++
12 >
13 > 30 days is too long? How can something new be stable? Stable doesn't
14 > mean "I don't think this is broken." Stable means "lots of others
15 > have already been using this and so far there aren't many reports of
16 > breakage."
17 >
18 > According to distrowatch RHEL is at 2.6.32. I'm sure it has a
19 > bazillion backports, but that is what I'd call stable. Running stable
20 > means starting to use the stuff everybody else is about ready to stop
21 > using. When an upstream releases a new stable release, that means
22 > that it is just now ready for testing, and chances are they'll have
23 > another stable release before their previous release really is stable.
24
25 "The latest distros seemed to be just a bunch of same old stuff.
26 Nothing new -- nothing innovative." ~ Larry's frustration. :(
27
28 "Then Larry tried Gentoo Linux. He was just impressed. ... He
29 discovered lots of up-to-date packages ..." ~ Larry's happiness. :)
30
31 http://www.gentoo.org/images/poster.jpg
34 With kind regards,
35
36 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
37 Gentoo Developer
38
39 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
40 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
41 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D