From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Vanilla behaviour in Gentoo Linux (long email)
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 11:46:37
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday 05 November 2003 02:00, Terje Kvernes wrote:
4 >
5 > > first, slocate I/O shouldn't be able to bring your box to a crawl.
6 > > secondly, you're free to kill the processes while they're running.
7 >
8 > Unfortunately it does. I think that the 2.6 kernel will probably
9 > improve this, but currently updatedb effectively locks most disk i/o
10
11 there is a difference, even under 2.4, between brining a box to a
12 total crawl and to lock most disk I/O. :-)
13
14 that being said, 2.6.0 is nicer in this regard, which is one of the
15 reasons I run 2.6.
18 Terje
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list