From: Zach Forrest <microserf@××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] WindowMaker 0.8? (ebuild info)
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:14:09
1 First, read the Gentoo Linux Developers HOWTO:
2 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/gentoo-howto.html
3
4 This document is a little out of date and there are couple of things to
5 be aware of. One, the "A" variable is no longer used. Instead, you
6 should replace the "${A}" in the "SRC_URI" variable with "${P}.tar.gz"
7 (assuming that the package you are installing has the ".tar.gz"
8 extension). Two, "try" is no longer used. Instead, use something like
9 "./configure || die" or "emake || die". This will all make a little more
10 sense once you've read the Gentoo Linux Developers HOWTO.
11
12 You might also want to check the devloper's mailing list archives for
13 December and January for more info. Also, I highly recommend using the
14 skeleton ebuild file (which has a lot of comments) located in
15 "/usr/portage/skel.build". This should help you get started.
16
17 For me, it was very helpful to look at some existing ebuilds to get a
18 better idea of how things are done. Playing with the "ebuild" command
19 (see "man ebuild") will also give you a better idea of the steps
20 involved in the merging process.
21
22 Regards,
23 Zach
24
25 Clay Mitchell wrote:
26
27 > Good idea. Where can I get some info on how to do this?
30 > -----Original Message-----
31 > From: gentoo-dev-admin@g.o [mailto:gentoo-dev-admin@g.o]
32 > On Behalf Of Gila
33 > Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 10:39 AM
34 > To: gentoo-dev@g.o
35 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] WindowMaker 0.8?
38 > make a ebuild your self and share it with us! :)
39 >