From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding PYTHON_TARGETS=python2_7 to base profile
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 05:24:42
On Sun, 2012-05-13 at 16:27 -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> To make ebuilds utilizing python-distutils-ng.eclass usable > "out-of-the-box", the python team would like to add the following to > make.defaults in the base profile. > > PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" > > See also bug 415575 [1].
I think this should have been done when the eclass was first committed. When there is no default setting people will have to set something themselves and it becomes much harder for the python team to provide a smooth upgrade path by adding in new preferred targets later on.
> I would also like to include python3_2, but I do not think this will be > possible due to dev-lang/python:3.2 not being stabilized on several > arches. Perhaps this could be set in arch-specific profiles? Would that > work?
Yes, arch-specific profiles would work, we do the same for ruby where jruby and ree18 are only available on a few arches. Hans