From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: udev and /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 18:59:58
1 On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Joost Roeleveld posted on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:22:42 +0200 as excerpted:
4 > > I don't see any added benefit from using DBUS on my servers.
5 >
6 > Interesting question. I hadn't seen the suggestion until this thread,
7 > either, and it bothered me too.
10 Well, I can't really speak about the specific issue as I'm not sure what the
11 maintainers of dbus, systemd, and udev are thinking.
12
13 However, I can imagine that the goals of parties like Canonical and RedHat
14 are to cut down on the number of configurations. If the server image is
15 vastly different from the desktop image you start having to divide your
16 resources to maintain both. If the only difference is that you install a
17 little less stuff (or just different stuff) by default then it isn't such a
18 big deal.
19
20 Gentoo is not immune to these pressures either. If upstream moves in one
21 direction then it will take consistent effort just to stay still. Anytime
22 we have six months without a dev we'll just inevitably get pulled along with
23 upstream anyway. If people have concerns with the direction upstream is
24 going, then they need to try to influence the upstream projects to change
25 direction. Simply posting on this list isn't going to change udev's
26 long-term strategy.
27
28 Personally I feel that Gentoo is all about choice and we should continue to
29 give our users as many choices as are practical. However, we don't have the
30 resources of Canonical and we can't just fork upstream and take it an
31 entirely different direction as a result.
32
33 Rich