From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 22:44:40
1 On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 23:13 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > The problem with this is that non-X boxes will be missing the terminfo
3 > descriptions.
4
5 Right.
6
7 > The problem with this is that some terminals gain new capabilities
8 > fairly regularly. One example is rxvt-unicode, which is still putting
9 > out regular releases.
10
11 I see...
12
13 > A third possibility is to split out the terminfo db from ncurses. This
14 > will let us do frequent updates if necessary. It may also help the
15 > embedded people -- we could add a USE=minimal which only installs
16 > 'common' definitions and leaves out support for obscure 1950s line
17 > printers. There may be a gaping hole in this idea. I haven't thought it
18 > through much...
19
20 Ripping out /etc/terminfo/ and /usr/share/terminfo from ncurses and
21 installing it as, say, ncurses-terminfo would make sense. I don't see
22 any obvious problems with this approach...
23
24 > That thing we don't have yet.
25
26 Aha.
27
28 ./Brix
29 --
30 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
31 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd