From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] omitting redirecting man pages from compression
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:09:10
> many man pages exist merely as a redirect to another man page: > $ xzcat /usr/share/man/man1/zcat.1.xz > .so man1/gzip.1
> compressing these tiny (always?) results in a larger file. that means we > arent saving space, and we're adding overhead at runtime.
> two options which we can do transparently: > - rewrite the .so man pages into symlinks > - omit them from compression
> the latter is pretty easy (see below). any preferences on which > route to take though as the former shouldnt be too hard either ...
With "controllable compression" in EAPI 4, /usr/share/man will no longer be special in any way. (Currently, the part of prepman that your patch changes won't even be reached in EAPI 4.) If we take the second route, then maybe it should be a more general solution, i.e. exclude all tiny files (man page or not) from compression? But I think that rewriting the .so files into symlinks would be cleaner. Ulrich