From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] omitting redirecting man pages from compression
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 07:09:10
1 >>>>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > many man pages exist merely as a redirect to another man page:
4 > $ xzcat /usr/share/man/man1/zcat.1.xz
5 > .so man1/gzip.1
6
7 > compressing these tiny (always?) results in a larger file. that means we
8 > arent saving space, and we're adding overhead at runtime.
9
10 > two options which we can do transparently:
11 > - rewrite the .so man pages into symlinks
12 > - omit them from compression
13
14 > the latter is pretty easy (see below). any preferences on which
15 > route to take though as the former shouldnt be too hard either ...
16
17 With "controllable compression" in EAPI 4, /usr/share/man will no
18 longer be special in any way. (Currently, the part of prepman that
19 your patch changes won't even be reached in EAPI 4.)
20
21 If we take the second route, then maybe it should be a more general
22 solution, i.e. exclude all tiny files (man page or not) from
23 compression?
24
25 But I think that rewriting the .so files into symlinks would be
26 cleaner.
27
28 Ulrich