From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags in base profiles
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:47:30
1 On Sun, Oct 22, 2017 at 9:53 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 > The following USE flags are enabled by default in our base/linux
3 > profiles. I think they can be disabled, possibly turning them on in
4 > package.use (or in the ebuilds) if they are important. Yes, no?
5 >
6 > 1. USE=cracklib (base/make.defaults)
7 >
8 > This might belong in the hardened profile, but it doesn't do anything
9 > critical -- it just enables "your password sucks" warnings.
10 >
11 > 2. USE=modules (base/make.defaults)
12 >
13 > This was originally used to enable kernel modules corresponding to
14 > linux-mod.eclass, but now the USE flag name is controlled by a
15 > variable and isn't guaranteed to be "modules". Two packages use
16 > it for things that aren't kernel modules.
17 >
18 > 3. USE=session (default/linux/make.defaults)
19 >
20 > Does wildly-different things to the few packages it affects,
21 > and never should have been enabled globally in the first place (it
22 > was done to enable sessions by default in dev-lang/php).
23
24 Agreed on all counts.