From: Mark Gordon <mark.gt@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new local USE var: vim-with-x
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:13:50
1 On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:10:37 -0400
2 Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Bill Kenworthy wrote: [Tue Apr 29 2003, 02:36:17AM EDT]
5 > > Because if you build vim with X in your use flags and you try and
6 > > run"vim" from a non-X console or a console ssh session it wont run!
7 > > I have had to stuff around compiling vim with USE="-X" with two
8 > > machines now so I could fix other problems from a console remote
9 > > login. vim should default to -X unless overidden specifically and
10 > > locally. Note that you do want X support for most other apps
11 > > though, so honouring a global USE is not a good idea for vim..
12 >
13 > Just to throw one more thought out there... The behavior you describe
14 > above is actually a bug. It's fixed in vim 6.1.474 and in 6.2a. I
15 > haven't put 6.1.474 into portage because of the existence of 6.2a and
16 > because I don't know if there's a gtk2 patch for 6.1.474.
17 >
18 > The bug is this: vim normally detects if the X connection fails and
19 > falls back to pure text mode. However for a while during the 6.1
20 > patches, it would fail under some circumstances and return you to a
21 > prompt.
22
23 That explains why it worked when I just tested the condition that was
24 causing me failures before.
25
26 > In truth the fact that this bug has been remedied makes it more
27 > plausible to depend on the global USE=X, but I'm still concerned about
28 > first-time installs.
29
30 I don't think that is a big issue. If you want X installed you will
31 install it, so whether it is pulled in when you install vim or at some
32 other point is not such a big issue. You can always override at the
33 command line for the initial build, and once X is installed linking to
34 it is not a problem now that it still works if X is not available.
35
36 So I now change my vote to going back to using the normal X use flag.
37 --
38 Mark Gordon
39 Paid to be a Geek & a Senior Software Developer
40 Currently looking for a new job commutable from Slough, Berks, U.K.
41 Although my email address says spamtrap, it is real and I read it.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list