From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ironing out release tarballs
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:20:53
1 On 10/15/2015 02:13 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On 15 Oct 2015 12:15, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 10/15/2015 08:34 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 >>> background:
5 >>> everyone wants @system to be slim, but most people want the initial stage
6 >>> tarball that we release and you install Gentoo from to not be completely
7 >>> sparse. we've got a bug for this topic:
8 >>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/393445
9 >>>
10 >>> items to sort out:
11 >>> - should the list of packages be in catalyst or profile-stacked content
12 >>> -> imo it should be entirely in the profile
13 >>>
14 >>> - should the packages list be in a new packages.default, or should we create a
15 >>> new set to hold it, or should we just go with @profile ?
16 >>> -> @profile has the advantage of already existing. we have to be careful so as
17 >>> to make it difficult to uninstall packages that the user does not actually
18 >>> want.
19 >>
20 >> In portage, the current meaning of @profile is very similar to @system,
21 >> except that it implies that members specify dependencies completely
22 >> (allowing for optimal parallelization) [1]. The @profile set is only
23 >> enabled for profiles from repositories that have "profile-formats =
24 >> profile-set" set in metadata/layout.conf. It's an extension which is not
25 >> covered by PMS.
26 >
27 > layout.conf isn't covered by PMS, nor are sets, and packages file format is
28 > compatible with PMS. so i think we are OK here.
29 >
30 >>> - if the packages aren't in @profile, should they be seeded in @world ?
31 >>> -> imo yes as we don't want all the default packages getting depcleaned as
32 >>> soon as you start using the new install. if they're in @profile, then this
33 >>> is a moot point (assuming depclean does not clean out @profile).
34 >>
35 >> In portage, @world = @profile + @selected + @system, which means that
36 >> @profile is protected from depclean since it's a part of @world.
37 >
38 > so if iputils is in @profile, and i do:
39 > emerge -C iputils
40 > i don't get the ugly warning about it being in @system, but if i do:
41 > emerge @world
42 > iputils comes back. i think that's OK actually since people can do:
43 > emerge @selected
44 > which has the classic @world meaning.
45 > -mike
48 People need to be able to use @world without it pulling in unwanted
49 packages, since it's the only way to properly do a full update of all
50 relevant packages (relevant packages being those that would not be
51 removed by depclean).
52 --
53 Thanks,
54 Zac