From: Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Need design help/input for eclean-kernel
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2016 19:25:47
1 On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 14:38:26 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
5 > a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
6 > as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
7 > distinctive features and pitfalls.
8
9 I use genkernel to build my kernels and initramfsen. Most of my
10 machines don’t support EFI, so my /boot contains a bunch of
11 {initramfs,kernel,System.map}-$KV files plus the
12 {initramfs,kernel,System.map}.old symlinks. My GRUB2 grub.cfg points at
13 the symlinks. Once in a while (usually when I get disk full errors on
14 the dedicated partition) I delete the old files by hand.
15
16 A couple of my machines do support EFI. On those, I set INSTALL=no in
17 genkernel.conf. I then run a custom script afterwards which maintains
18 directories /boot/EFI/gentoo and /boot/EFI/gentoo-old. Each of these
19 contains a file kernel.efi and another file initramfs. This is FAT, so
20 no symlinks. The script deletes gentoo-old, copies gentoo to
21 gentoo-old, and finally puts the new files in gentoo. I have EFI boot
22 records pointing to both, using initrd=\gentoo\initramfs syntax.
23 --
24 Christopher Head