From: Philippe Coulonges <cphil@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Introduction
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:49:37
1 Hello,
2
3 I'm new around here and I put my nose in a couple (hum, maybe more)
4 threads, so I think I have to introduce myself to the list.
5
6 My name is Philippe Coulonges. I'm 42 (you said 42 ?), I'm french from
7 Toulouse.
8
9 In Toulouse, we do Airbus planes. So did I. I spent some years on
10 embedded calculators for these planes. I worked on the Flight Warning
11 Computer on the A320, on the Brake and Steering Computer Unit for that
12 same plane, on Maintenance Computer for the A430, etc...
13
14 I also worked for embedded computers on almost every transportation
15 system you can think about. I conceived a navigation system that allowed
16 Citroen Sport to be twice world champion of Rally-Raid (maybe the pilot
17 did help, too), I worked on embedded devices for taxis, buses, trains,
18 motor-less planes, cars, trucks, paratroopers, missiles (including
19 nuclear ones).
20
21 I also spent too much time in the last 20+ years learning odd languages,
22 methods, software engineering tools depending on lubies from quality
23 engineers or pointed-haired managers.
24
25 I stopped.
26
27 As I never heard of a mason you would ask to get the job done in X days
28 AND to which you should impose a feather as only tool, I decided I
29 should master the tools of my trade and work only with relevant ones.
30
31 After some consideration, I saw free software as the only solution, both
32 practically and philosophically.
33 Practically for I would not trust a compiler other than GCC to be here
34 in 40 years as some long term maintenance contract impose.
35 Philosophically, well, you know why, source code is free speech and the
36 like.
37
38 I spend some time (years in fact), testing Mandrake, Debian, SuSe,
39 RedHat, Slackware,YellowDog, WhiteDwarf, Elinus,
40 PleaseCouldTheLastOneShutTheDoor distributions, and then made my last
41 choice for Gentoo.
42
43 Now I'm here to stay.
44 And what I read about gentoo embedded will certainly add to that will.
45
46 I have experience, ranging from my first Oric to the MacOs where I
47 learned events while other discovered DOS, from VAX VMS to bloody MFC,
48 from 6802 asm to PPC G4, including nearly every µcontrollers you can
49 dream of. I play with software and hardware.
50
51 BUT, I haven't much time.
52
53 I'm divorcing from a near crazy woman and I must take care of my two
54 child. I lost my father this summer and I must take care of my mum.
55 So I will not take responsibilities now.
56
57 I hope my life will take a more gentle turn and then, I will help in a
58 more direct way. Meanwhile, I'm just lurking if you don't care, I'll
59 certainly fill some bugs (I already did), suggest and troll.
60
61 Oh, did I said troll ? Not really, please reread my posts, I troll on
62 purpose.
63
64 CU
65 CPHIL