From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI usage in main tree
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:48:46
1 >>>>> On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Lars Wendler wrote:
2
3 > I don'f feel very well with this idea especially because no matter
4 > how hard I try I don't get comfortable with EAPI-3. No offense to
5 > our prefix guys, you surely did a hell of a good job and EAPI-3
6 > seems to really get you out of quite some trouble you had with
7 > earlier EAPIs, but... I for myself never tried a prefix installation
8 > and I don't have any intentions to do this in the foreseeable future
9 > so I still prefer EAPI-2 wherever I can simply because EAPI-3
10 > imposes overhead on my side which I have no real benefit from and I
11 > have no real clue about how to write proper EAPI-3 ebuilds.
12
13 As long as your ebuild doesn't need any keywords for prefix
14 architectures, nothing forces you to use ED and EROOT variables
15 instead of D and ROOT.
16
17 In other words, you can simply change the EAPI declaration in an
18 ebuild from 2 to 3 and it will continue to work.
19
20 Ulrich