From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Gentoo Security Project Summary -- was Re: [gentoo-dev] Project summaries
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 21:20:27
1 Gentoo Security Project Summary
2
3 Short Summary:
4 The Security Team is up and running, but we are dealing with numerous
5 tasks and a high load in daily maintenance. Fresh blood is not only
6 appreciated, but needed to continue the luxury of Security Support we
7 currently have. We have too many open bugs, too many undrafted GLSAs
8 that are eventually sent too slow, and a lot of channels to monitor.
9 There are some bugs that need extensive amount of work to be resolved.
10 The Security Team is also developing applications to support our
11 workflow and user's systems, such as improvements to glsa-check and our
12 DTD, a new Ruby on Rails application to draft GLSAs and an application
13 to coordinate Kernel security support and check local systems.
14
15 == Personal changes ==
16
17 === Lead Election ===
18
19 Since the last election had been longer than a year ago, we held a new
20 election during the first two weeks of May. It was determined
21 unanimously that Pierre-Yves Rofes (py) and Robert Buchholz (rbu) will
22 be the new French-German duo that is our Team Leads. We would like to
23 publicly thank Raphael Marichez (falco) and Matthias Geerdsen (vorlon)
24 for doing the job the years past. They were both not available for
25 another term.
26
27 === Additions to the team ===
28
29 Alex Legler (a3li) recently joined the Security Team. However we still
30 need more people helping with the daily maintenance work. This call for
31 help applies to both developers and users.
32
33 For more details on how to join the Security team, see:
34 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/security/
35
36 Or, more specifically:
37 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/padawans.xml
38 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/coordinator_guide.xml
39 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/vulnerability-policy.xml
40 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/bug-searching.xml
41
42 == Maintenance ==
43
44 === Bugs and GLSAs ===
45
46 We have reached new highs in the number of open bugs and the length it
47 takes all of us to resolve them. A shortness in Gentoo developers in
48 general and on our team is leading to three issues:
49
50 (1) Security bugs are not resolved by ebuild maintainers
51
52 Some security bumps are staying open for weeks with teams not responding
53 to pings. Even issues that could be resolved before being public (what
54 we call "embargoed bugs") are not resolved due to maintainers not being
55 responsive on such bugs.
56 In fairness, I have to note this is limited to only some herds and not
57 architectures. Architectures and in particular their Arch Security
58 Liaisons are doing their job in a reliable and timely fashion.
59
60 (2) GLSAs are delayed
61
62 We're slow! We are sorry. I feel this is a great disappointment
63 especially in those cases where maintainers and arch teams are doing a
64 fast job and we take 4 weeks to write the accompanying GLSA. I see
65 potential for improvement with the GLSAMaker rewrite described below.
66 Contributors to GLSA writing are greatly welcome.
67
68 (3) Security Team is not resolving bugs either
69
70 In the past, we have been conducting simple version bumps ourselves or
71 have masked vulnerable ebuilds. Currently, doing other people's jobs in
72 the security process is mostly on hold as we have a hard time struggling
73 to cope with our part of the job.
76 === Documentation update ===
77
78 We actually updated our existing documentation to reflect more of our
79 security process. Isn't that awesome? Read our project pages to find out
80 more:
81 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/security/
84 === GLSA dtd and glsa-check ===
85
86 We have been discussing changes to the GLSA DTD for ages now. There's
87 few people interested in the subject and I have been slacking on it. I
88 have picked up glsa-check maintenance recently and we will announce
89 changes to the DTD to the dev lists as soon as they are fully drafted.
90 Since the GLSA format is supported in all package managers, the change
91 will be announced at least 6 weeks before going live.
92
93 Oh, and glsa-check will see some bugs fixed, I hope. And support for
94 UTF-8. And support for mask-glsas. Hmm.. anyone else here to help?
95
96 glsa-check changes in 0.2.4:
97 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoolkit/branches/gentoolkit-0.2.4/src/glsa-check/
98 glsa-check changes in trunk (0.3):
99 http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoolkit/trunk/gentoolkit/
100 New DTD proposals:
101 http://git.goodpoint.de/?p=glsa-check.git;a=tree;h=refs/heads/glsa-2
104 == Feature extensions ==
105
106 === GLSAMaker ===
107
108 The GLSAMaker is a web application that we use to draft, comment on and
109 refine GLSAs. It allows for the export of the GLSA texts and XML files
110 you might know from gentoo-announce or /usr/portage/metadata/glsa. The
111 application is considered helpful by all of us, however its shortcomings
112 require to duplicate some work that could be automated and its usability
113 makes working with it less fun than it could be and slows our work down
114 quite a bit.
115
116 Alex Legler (a3li) and Pierre-Yves Rofes (p-y) are currently working on
117 a rewrite that covers the current functionality and extensions to ease
118 the workflow dramatically by integrating metadata from Portage,
119 Bugzilla, the CVE database and Secunia.
120
121 We are looking forward to GLSAMaker 2 becoming the central point for
122 coordinating our efforts.
123
124 A refined access control will allow us to give access to the tool to
125 people that are not (yet) members of the team, and this allows us to
126 accept contributions from the community and other developers that want
127 to push GLSAs for their packages through our system faster.
128
129 If you are into Ruby On Rails development, or are looking for a project
130 to start, your help is greatly appreciated.
131 You can follow development here:
132 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/glsamaker.git
133 https://redmine.stingray.a3li.info/projects/show/glsamaker2
136 === Kernel Security ===
137
138 Since 2005, we are not issueing GLSAs for Kernel vulnerabilities which
139 is an unfortunate flaw in our Vulnerability Policy. This is related to
140 the fact that these vulnerabilities are extremely hard to track and we
141 have a lot of Kernel sources with several maintainers. Unlike other
142 projects, the Kernel is actively maintained upstream and by bumping to
143 newer versions you will fix vulnerabilities automatically. This way, our
144 ebuilds are staying secure even without GLSAs. You machines, however,
145 may not.
146
147 However, we are looking to improve the process of handling these issues
148 as well. We are currently tracking all known bugs in Bugzilla, building
149 a large database of Kernel vulnerabilities -- most of which are fixed in
150 gentoo-sources. At the same time we are working on a tool to export this
151 data into a format that could be distributed as part of the Portage
152 tree. A tool will then allow checking of the locally running kernel
153 version against the vulnerability data to determine which updates are
154 required.
155
156 This work is conducted by Björn Tropf (asyme) and Robert Buchholz (rbu).
157 The part concerning the Portage tree will be proposed to this list at a
158 later time when we have a working module to collect and evaluate the
159 data.
160
161 Follow our work here:
162 http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/kernel-check.git