From: orbea <orbea@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecating virtual/opengl in favor of media-libs/libglvnd
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 13:37:36
1 I think this is a mistake, libglvnd has a documented performance hit
2 and should be optional.
3
4 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/glvnd/libglvnd/-/issues/222
5
6 On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 14:23:22 +0200
7 Cedric Sodhi <ManDay@××××××××.cc> wrote:
8
9 > Hello everyone,
10 >
11 > as by our discussion on #gentoo-desktop, we would like to sort out
12 > the historical artefact "virtual/opengl" which dates back to before
13 > Wayland and has become somewhat inappropriate (a misnomer, not
14 > sufficiently configurable, or redundant depending on one's
15 > perspective).
16 >
17 > A quick recap of the situation, a description of the problems and
18 > reasons why it should be deprecated, as well as the "way forward" are
19 > documented here:
20 >
21 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:ManDay/Deprecating_the_virtual_OpenGL_ebuild
22 >
23 > At this point we would like to invite everyone to enter additional
24 > feedback - including potential problems which are not covered by the
25 > article. When we're sure that everything has been considered, we can
26 > move to deprecating "virtual/opengl".
29 > Thank you!
30 > Cedric