From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:03:20
1 On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Greg KH posted on Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:28:10 -0700 as excerpted:
4 >
5 > > So, anyone been thinking about this? I have, and it's not pretty.
6 > >
7 > > Should I worry about this and how it affects Gentoo, or not worry about
8 > > Gentoo right now and just focus on the other issues?
9 > >
10 > > Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft to
11 > > sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side that
12 > > I've been wondering about.
13 >
14 > I've been following developments and wondering a bit about this myself.
15 >
16 > I had concluded that at least for x86/amd64, where MS is mandating a user
17 > controlled disable-signed-checking option, gentoo shouldn't have a
18 > problem. Other than updating the handbook to accommodate UEFI,
19 > presumably along with the grub2 stabilization, I believe we're fine as if
20 > a user can't figure out how to disable that option on their (x86/amd64)
21 > platform, they're hardly likely to be a good match for gentoo in any case.
22 >
23 > ARM and etc could be more problematic since MS is mandating no-unlock
24 > there, last I read. I have no clue how they can get away with that anti-
25 > trust-wise, but anyway... But I honestly don't know enough about other
26 > than x86/amd64 platforms to worry about it, personally.
29 For the short term, we don't have many options beside either adding to the
30 documentation that the User needs to disable UEFI or wipe the current valid
31 keys and adding their own (Devs may need to make sure there's a way to do
32 this on the livecd). Of course there's the third option of everyone
33 purchasing a key from Verisign but....
34
35 As for non-x86 systems, Gentoo is in between a rock and a hard place. I
36 hope there will be a similar mechanism for the user to implement their own
37 valid key chain and remove Microsofts, but who knows. The the devs and we
38 need to decide on a uniform way of handling this situation.
39
40 - Matt