From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] severe gnumeric bug
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 07:51:05
1 Here is how to crash your system using gnumeric 1.0.8
2 (or bring it close):
3
4 (this is the simplest routine that demonstrates the bug).
5
6 - open gnumeric
7 - Edit->Select->All
8 - Copy
9 - File->New
10 - Edit->Paste
11
12 The result is long periods of CPU activity, first I watch RAM fill up,
13 followed by all the swap.
14
15 If left to its own devices, gnumeric eventually quits with this message:
16
17 ---------8<--------------8<-------------------
18
19 GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate 16777216 bytes
20 aborting...
21
22 ---------8<--------------8<-------------------
23
24 Ahem... that is a _lot_ of bytes!
25
26 I can see what it is trying to do (allocate enough memory to copy every
27 (blank) cell of the spreadsheet). However, it really ought to be more
28 intelligent than to actually try and do that, especially if the cells
29 are empty.
30
31 I don't have time to go through the motions of a formal bug report, I've
32 briefly searched bugzilla.gnome.org and not come across anything.
33
34 Is anyone else able to give this severe bug the attention it deserves?
35 I discovered it doing everyday work, so it must be affecting quite a lot
36 of people out there. It also exhibits behaviour that could potentially
37 endanger the stability of the whole system, especially those that
38 pre-date the kernel Out Of Memory killer, introduced late in 2.4 iirc.
39
40 thanks,
41
42 Andy
43
44 PS. Please CC me on replies. I'd love to keep up with all the goings
45 on with this list, but I can't afford the time :-(.
48 The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may
49 be legally privileged. If you have received this e-mail and you are not
50 a named addressee, please inform us as soon as possible on
51 +44 118 901 2999 and then delete the e-mail from your system. If you are
52 not a named addressee you must not copy, use, disclose, distribute,
53 print or rely on this e-mail. Any views expressed in this e-mail or any
54 attachments may not necessarily reflect those of Tao's management.
55 Although we routinely screen for viruses, addressees should scan this
56 e-mail and any attachments for viruses. Tao makes no representation or
57 warranty as to the absence of viruses in this e-mail or any attachments.
58 Please note that for the protection of our business, we may monitor and
59 read e-mails sent to and from our server(s).
60
61 Visit our website at http://tao-group.com/