From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 12:48:59
1 On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:00:43 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 10:54:44 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > I'm highly doubtful that there's any real need for different kinds
7 > > > of repository-provided sets. We especially don't want sets to be
8 > > > code...
9 > >
10 > > Simple things like getting a list of packages which own a particular
11 > > file (for rebuilds) or grepping a variable are useful to users.
12 >
13 > That's something done by sets as provided by the package mangler, not
14 > something done by repository-specified sets.
15
16 So we should provide separate copies of the same sets for each package
17 mangler?
18
19 > > For example, the x11 overlay provides a set to rebuild the xorg
20 > > server modules after an update.
21 >
22 > That's just a list of package specs. The user then says "only the ones
23 > of these that I have installed" by the way the set is used.
24
25 Well, I think a simple specification saying 'all installed packages
26 which install to /usr/lib/foo' is much simpler to write and maintain
27 than a random number of package names.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny