From: Michal Kurgan <moloh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] PROPERTIES=virtual for meta-packages (clarification of definition)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:36:47
1 On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:01:01 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Michal Kurgan wrote:
5 > > On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:01:48 -0700
6 > > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Hi everyone,
9 > >>
10 > >> Since there were some questions about ambiguity in the meaning of
11 > >> the proposed PROPERTIES=virtual [1] value, we need to clarify it.
12 > >>
13 > >> [ ... ]
14 > >>
15 > >> Ebuilds that exhibit the "virtual" property commonly serve as a
16 > >> layer of indirection in dependencies. All of the ebuilds in the
17 > >> existing "virtual" category [4] should be eligible to define
18 > >> PROPERTIES=virtual. If the ebuilds in the virtual category were the
19 > >> only ones that exhibited this "virtual" property, then the
20 > >> information that PROPERTIES=virtual represents could simply be
21 > >> inferred from membership of that category. However, existence of
22 > >> meta-packages in the "java-virtuals" category [5], among others,
23 > >> makes it useful to introduce the "virtual" property as a means to
24 > >> identify these ebuilds. Note that some packages, such as x11-libs/qt
25 > >> [6], exhibit this property for some versions and not others. So, in
26 > >> some cases it may be useful to be able to specify the "virtual"
27 > >> property separately for different ebuild versions.
28 > >>
29 > >
30 > > Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just move the "offending" ebuilds to
31 > > virtual category? e.g. virtual/qt, etc.
34 > A package move doesn't seem very practical given that the "virtual"
35 > property varies from one version to the next. I suppose it could be
36 > done as a split where older versions continue to exist as
37 > x11-libs/qt and newer versions exist as virtual/qt.
38
39 Exactly. I think that this distinction is more clear, both for users and
40 developers. You've got the idea about package just from its name, not
41 internal structure such as PROPERTIES or DESCRIPTION variables.
42
43 > If we take that approach then you'll have to convince the java team to
44 > combine the whole java-virtuals category [1] into the virtual category. The
45 > same goes for any other meta-packages such as kde-meta-* or whatnot.
46 >
47 > [1] http://packages.gentoo.org/category/java-virtuals
48
49 Hmm... looks like though work, but will try at least. Thanks for hint.
50
51 If java hears that, what do you think about that? Are there any problems
52 with doing such migration?
53
55 > >> Thanks,
56 > >> Zac