From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Manifest signing
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:37:09
1 On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 07:08:29PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > Beyond that, IMO it's now at the "needs a proposal champion to clean it
3 > up and present it to the council" stage, at least at the "council
4 > declared priority" level for getting the requirements into repoman, the
5 > CVS server, and perhaps the PMs (I don't know what stage they're at,
6 > possibly all they need is a switch flipped?).
7 It doesn't need cleaning up. I wrote the tree-signing GLEPs a few years
8 ago, and those were approved by the council, really they just need
9 updating to a recent Portage and usage.
10
11 They provide better support than just getting every developer to sign
12 the Manifests, because to do so while eclasses are unsigned is a giant
13 security hole. MetaManifest in the proposal covers that by getting the
14 entire tree to a state of being signed.
15
16 > Talking about which, at the PM user level, is there a per-repo/overlay
17 > switch? If not, it should strongly be considered.
18 Yes. See layout.conf/repo.conf. Also controls usage of thin Manifests.
21 Robin Hugh Johnson
22 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
23 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
24 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85