From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:51:33
1 On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:37:07PM -0600, Gabriel wrote:
2 > On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Jerry A! wrote:
3 > > Actually, base system isn't only FSF. The default tarball used
4 > > BerkeleyDB, OpenSSH, Perl (which while is GPL'd, isn't owned by the
5 > > FSF), etc...
6 >
7 > I meant "the mythical not yet provided base system", which I suppose would
8 > make it not Gentoo. I have a dream of bootstrapping to a minimal system, and
9 > having an ebuild for every package at ftp.gnu.org. I wonder what RMS would
10 > do once he actually had what he asked for.
11
12 Well, not all GNU software is at ftp.gnu.org. Berkeley DB is developed at
13 Sleepycat Software, and glibc depends on it. Many "official" GNU programs
14 depend on "unofficial" GNU programs to either build or run.
17 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
18 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
19 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.