From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:23:55
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Wyatt Epp <wyatt.epp@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 16:23, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 >> I too feel that tags should be distinct from sets, for a bunch of reasons.
4 >>
5 >> Sets should really be something carefully controlled by the
6 >> repository.  While I'm fine with having tags in the repository also,
7 >> there is talk about giving users ways of supplying them as well.
8 >>
9 > Too late; /etc/portage/sets/
10
11 That wasn't what I was thinking of. Package masking is also something
12 we carefully control in the repository but users can override it FOR
13 THEIR OWN SYSTEMS. With tags I think that there were concepts
14 floating around of letting anybody influence how packages are tagged.
15
16 With some of the offline suggestions there is really nothing stopping
17 anybody from making their own tagging solution outside of the
18 repository. I could set up my own packages.g.o site and implement
19 user-supplied tagging if I wanted to. That might not be a bad way to
20 get this started, as somebody else in one of these threads seemed to
21 be implying.
22
23 Rich