From: Jeff Rose <rosejn@××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:04:11
1 Hello,
2 I'm pretty new to gentoo, but I am an instant convert. Just a
3 few months of emerge bliss and now I'm an avid supporter. Anyway, I'm
4 thinking about starting a summer project and I'm pondering the idea of a
5 gui installer. I've been looking around a bit and it doesn't look like
6 anyone is working on one. Is that true? If there isn't already a project
7 then I think I'll give it a whirl. I know, I know, gentoo is so great
8 because it allows you to customize and tweak the hell out of everything.
9 That is completely true. So, an installer would have to allow just as
10 much but it could take care of the mundane details for those who aren't
11 interested or knowledgable enough.
12 I haven't been around to see what people discuss in terms of the
13 installer so I'm sorry if this is all stuff that you have gone over
14 hundreds of times. Even more minimal than a gui installer, have you
15 thought about adding more scripts to do the standard directory setup,
16 download, chroot... type of stuff?
17 What do you think?
18
19 -Jeff