From: Xavier Neys <neysx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] blocking virii-like attachments on gentoo.org email
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 08:49:04
1 On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 22:15, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Tuesday 04 November 2003 01:29 pm, Kurt Lieber wrote:
6 > > We are looking at potentially blocking any/all attachments sent to
7 > > developer email addresses with one of the following extensions:
8 > >
9 > > jse?|exe|com|cmd|shs|hta|bat|scr|pif
10 > >
11 > > These extensions are most notable for a) not having much, if anything, to
12 > > do with Linux and b) having a whole lot to do with windows-based viruses.
13 > >
14 > > The blocking would be more of a convenience to you all -- designed to get
15 > > rid of those virii from your inboxes. However, I didn't want to implement
16 > > it without posting it for discussion here first.
17 > Except that some people, including me, *want* the virii in my inbox... :/
18 Then we shall send them all to _your_ inbox ;-)
19
20 Now seriously, yes, please, by all means, prevent those from even
21 entering our mail system.
22 They are not harmless as mentioned previously.
23 They eat up Gentoo bandwidth on their way in.
24 They eat up Gentoo and users' bandwidth on their way to users when not
25 dealt with directly on d.g.o
26 They are a potential threat to users of the blue screen alternative OS.
27 IMHO, emails@g.o should not be used to receive legitimate
28 attachments like those as they really have nothing to do with Gentoo
29 Linux.
30
31 Cheers,
32 --