From: AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lastrite (part 1): KDE3-only applications that won't build when KDE4 is installed
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:30:01
1 Dale wrote:
2 > < lowly user again >
3 >
4 > Is it possible to just mask and maybe keyword KDE 3? Maybe do a news
5 > item as to why it is being done? That way people like me that don't use
6 > overlays can still keep KDE 3.5 but it requires us to unmask them. It
7 > would be just like we have to do to use a new program that may have
8 > security issues or bugs but just in reverse.
9 >
10 > I mention because I have already downloaded Mandriva and plan to install
11 > it as a temporary fix if needed. I think I can suffer through Mandriva
12 > for a couple months while this gets sorted out. I'm planning to install
13 > the same for my brother. I would like to install Gentoo but he's not as
14 > geeky as me.
15 >
16 > < back to my hole again >
17 >
18 > Dale
19 >
20 > :-) :-)
23 Give the developers a _good_ reason why overlays shouldn't be used in
24 this case and I'm sure they'll consider it. But I don't think "I refuse
25 to use a standard tool of my chosen distro (for no good reason)" is
26 going to change their minds here.
27
28 Overlays allow for a clear separation of fully supported and partially /
29 unsupported packages in a manner that's clear, easy to use and maintain
30 for both users and developers, with the added bonus of reducing disk
31 usage and sync time for those who don't wish to use that set of packages.
32
33 I fully welcome the way the sunsetting of KDE 3.5 is being done. It's
34 clear and easy to follow.
35
36 AllenJB