From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Timeline for Python 3.9 switch and Python 3.7 removal
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:37:05
1 On Thu, 2021-02-18 at 16:01 -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 3:45 PM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > I'd like to discuss a rough timeline for switching the default
7 > > PYTHON_TARGETS to python3.9.
8 > >
9 > > According to the upstream release schedule [1], the last bugfix release
10 > > is planned for May. Afterwards, upstream will release only security
11 > > fixes. At the same time, our rough current schedule [2] suggests that
12 > > we'll start last-riting stuff May 1st, so the 3.7 target would be
13 > > removed in 15-30 days.
14 > >
15 > > Do you think 2021-06-01 would be a reasonable planned switchover date?
16 >
17 > So you are saying we will start masking packages may 1st and we will
18 > drop 3.7 targets 30 days later (june 1?)
19 >
20 > (I felt like this was a bit ambiguous?)
21
22 The target will be removed when all packages not supporting 3.8 are
23 removed, so the exact time depends on what package will remain
24 in ::gentoo at May 1st.
25
26 Ideally, all packages will be ported by then and the only packages to
27 mask will be backports. For these, I use the shorter 14 day period.
28 However, if we have to remove some real packages I'll use 30 days
29 instead.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny