From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: [gentoo-pms] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:38:48
1 On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 05:38:06PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 06:56:14PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > But with the current syntax, there's no such thing as "the
5 > > > spec that is in both". There are two specs, which happen to be
6 > > > identical as strings, one in DEPEND and one in RDEPEND, and there's
7 > > > no way for the two to be associated.
8 > > >
9 > > Now that *is* dishonestly ignorant: you know full well that LDEPEND
10 > > [1] covers exactly that case.
11 >
12 > Everyone else knows full well that LDEPEND is such a badly broken idea
13 > that it's not worth discussing...
14
15 *sigh* and as usual you ignore the actual point:
16
17 > So there is a very easy way for the two to be associated, and to specify
18 > the most common (or any other, should it be justified) dependency that
19 > is in both, with the current syntax.
20
21 Irrespective of which variable we discuss, the fact remains that it is
22 perfectly possible to specify a dependency that is in both, addressing
23 the points raised by Harring, which are actually your concerns.
24
25 Except you couldn't be bothered to outline those, just like you are hand-
26 waving now.
27
28 Again, I am left wondering just what kind of academics Cambridge is
29 producing nowadays.
32 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)