From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Lastrite: media-gfx/pngcrush
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 08:35:37
1 Tomáš Chvátal posted on Sat, 08 Oct 2011 17:29:52 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Guys,
4 > the policy makes perfect sense, there are people that sync just monthly,
5 > so they might want to get some headsup why their packages are going
6 > away, and not just remove them.
7 >
8 > Thats why the recommended value is 60 days, 30 for urgent cases, lately
9 > we just moved to 30 for everything, but please stick with that,
10 > do not make it lower.
11 >
12 > This is not about waiting for maintainer, or slowing up distro, but
13 > letting our users to catch up with what we do.
14 >
15 > As a side note masked packages CAN be broken, so the stab can proceed
16 > from the point you mask all the broken ones.
17
18 ++
19
20 Mask it now, do the libpng thing in 14 days (or even sooner if all to-be-
21 broken packages are masked), but leave the masked packages for the full
22 30 days as the policy states.
23
24 Libpng isn't held up that way, while the package still gets its 30 day
25 masking last-rites. No policy broken; no maintainer toes stepped on as a
26 result of the broken policy. No more nasty threads about (this) broken
27 policy and unhappy maintainers as a result! =:^)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman