From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Master plan for fixing elibtoolize
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 10:31:26
1 On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 11:21:58 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On sob, 2017-03-18 at 11:18 +0100, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 07:53:31 +0100
6 > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > > 3. copy elibtoolize logic to Portage, and make it apply
8 > > > > > implicitly on econf [do we need to apply it elsewhere?];
9 > > > > > disable explicit libtoolize when Portage supports that.
10 > > > >
11 > > > > Related to the above point, if you make it part of econf then it
12 > > > > needs to be part of PMS and that's quite a complex beast to
13 > > > > have in the spec. It has been suggested twice on this list
14 > > > > (once quite recently) that the script itself should put into a
15 > > > > separate package for this reason. Then PMS just needs to say
16 > > > > "install and use this script" without any further detail.
17 > > >
18 > > > Strictly speaking, you don't have to have it in the PMS. This can
19 > > > be left purely as Portage extension, much like gnuconfig hacking
20 > > > is right now.
21 > >
22 > > Having different portage versions or different PM behaving
23 > > differently for the same ebuild and portage tree, producing
24 > > different binaries, definitely defeats PMS goals. If such things do
25 > > not need to be in PMS then I don't know why we even have PMS in the
26 > > first place.
27 >
28 > If elibtoolize results in different binaries being produced, then it's
29 > done wrong in the first place. AFAIU the primary goal of elibtoolize
30 > logic is to fix issues on recent systems with outdated build systems.
31 > Which is certainly not something that needs to be done for every user
32 > out there.
33
34 You probably didn't have a look at what the patches fix. Having a
35 quick look at patches there, I could fine one fixing relink to
36 old libs (from / instead of $D), another one fixing parallel install.
37 The former produces broken binaries, the latter none at all.
38
39 I seriously doubt this shouldn't be fixed for every user.