From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Enable FEATURES="userpriv usersandbox" by default?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 16:31:32
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 05/29/2012 05:23 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
6 > wrote:
7 >> I am against too many defaults. It's documented and people can
8 >> activate it. I'm already annoyed by pre-set stuff like "cups" in
9 >> releases/make.defaults.
10 >
11 > While universal agreement is a bit much to hope for, I just wanted
12 > to point out that fewer defaults is really just an illusion.
13 >
14 > There is ALWAYS a default, anytime you have an option. The
15 > default might be one thing, or it might be another, but there is
16 > ALWAYS a default. My thinking is that our defaults should
17 > generally reflect the most mainstream or least-surprising behavior,
18 > especially where there are upstream projects. in the case of
19 > portage, we are the upstream, so we should do whatever is most
20 > useful and least obnoxious to our users.
21 >
22 > If you're running something other than a generic desktop/server,
23 > there will always be a need to tweak things.
24 >
25 > Rich
28 Well then let my clarify: I'm against too many pre-set (meaning
29 "activated") features/useflags.
30
31 That's probably a seperate discussion, but I myself would expect the
32 _default_ profile/config to have almost nothing activated. No
33 useflags, no features etc.
34
35 That may imply that this default is "broken", but it takes more time
36 to do reverse-configuration while looking for things that someone
37 considered "sane" and has set for your "convenience".
38
39 I discovered this the first time I set up a blank chroot and got a
40 load of stuff pulled in by some trivial emerges. Some set by already
41 mentioned releases/make.defaults and similar, some set by ebuilds etc.
42
43 What you do with other profiles is a completely different topic,
44 because I'm not forced to use them.
45
46 means: I don't like the fact that I have to set
47 FEATURES="-foobar"
48 or
49 USE="-foobar"
50
51 That should almost never be the case (unless I set some globally and
52 unset some locally or use desktop-profiles etc).
53
54 am I offtopic already? Hope you got the point though.