From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 20:01:44
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 > Rémi Cardona wrote:
4 >> Zac Medico a écrit :
5 >>> Please consider a PROPERTIES=set value that allows an ebuild to
6 >>> indicate that it should behave like a package set when selected on
7 >>> the command line. This is behavior is somewhat difficult to describe
8 >>> in words but the following example should be sufficient to convey
9 >>> the general idea.
10 >>
11 >> As one of the maintainers of the gnome-base/gnome meta, I fail to see
12 >> the usefulness of such a change. We have yet to ask users to rebuild
13 >> "gnome" completely. Do you have any specific use cases (maybe coming
14 >> from the KDE herd, since you used the kde meta as an example) ?
15 >>
16 >> The one thing that bothers me about this is consistency: if, say, xfce
17 >> (let's change ;) ) decides to use PROPERTIES=set, users will have a
18 >> different experience with their ebuild than with the other metas we
19 >> currently ship.
20 >>
21 Only when they consciously use the set syntax, surely?
22
23 >> All in all, I'm not really against such a change, however I really fail
24 >> to see the win for everyone, end-users included.
25 >
26 > Over the course of the discussion I've revised the idea so that it
27 > essentially represents a way to define a package set, without any
28 > changes to existing behavior. What will change is that we will have
29 > a new way to define package sets, based on ebuilds.
30
31 Makes sense to me, though not sure you need the mapping file. I'm perfectly
32 happy about emerge -uDN @kde-meta say, updating all kde-meta packages I
33 might have installed; I take it that after emerge kde-meta to install, and
34 then removing some of the packages, the user could continue to reference
35 the set for upgrade, without portage reinstalling those?