From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: DB vs SCM (was Re: [RFC] Some sync control)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 17:58:33
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > The idea of restricting access to specific parts of gentoo-x86 has come
3 > up many times. It doesn't fix anything and actually makes some things
4 > worse. Committers still have access to wherever they can commit, so they
5 > can work whatever evil they want there without needing the rest of the
6 > tree.
7 >
8 > If we trust people to commit anywhere, we should trust them to commit
9 > everywhere. If we don't trust them to commit, why do they have commit
10 > access? This implies a basic lack of trust within our development team,
11 > which means it can never be a true team.
12 >
13 Makes sense. I was just under the impression that devs were snowed under,
14 and that the team is understandably wary of giving commit access to the
15 whole tree. It's not about trust as much as human error, and I thought it
16 made sense to limit people's scope for error.
17
18 No biggy, just wondered at the model, especially in terms of bringing new
19 people in as ebuild devs. But as you imply, much damage can be done in a
20 single ebuild since it runs as root.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list