From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: emerge snapshots
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 18:06:50
1 On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 02:12:38 +0900
2 Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all.
5 >
6 > During the last many months, more than once an idea occured in my
7 > mind, so I decided to share it.
10 > 2006-01-25T01:34 kalin $ dd if=/dev/brain of=gentoo-dev bs=1
11 > count=3292
12 >
13 > Do you think it will be good to have something like a snapshot of the
14 > installed packages?
15 [snip]
16
17 It sounds like you want to build a complete system backup and recovery
18 solution into portage, which IMO is way beyond the scope of a package
19 manager.
20 Now AFAIK saviour can support multiple modular vdb backends, so you
21 might be able to plug such a system into it, but a) that is a rather
22 long time ahead and b) noone inside the portage team will probably work
23 on such a feature, so you'll have to write that code yourself.
24 Note that I'm not questioning the gain of this, just that it won't get
25 done by us.
26
27 Marius
32 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
33 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.