From: aeriksson@××××××××.fm
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] pushing dependencies of installed packages forward.
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 11:39:47
1 Hi all,
2
3 I've a problem which I cannot find a solution to in gentoo.
4
5 Assume
6 A depends on D
7 B depends on >=D-2
8 C depends on >=D-3
9
10 Further assume that I install packages A, B and C independently, and
11 in that order.
12
13 Now it would seem that I have three versions of D (D-1, D-2, D-3)
14 installed, but according to the packages dependencies they would all
15 be happy with th latest version. So far I've been unable to find a
16 tool which lists these situations for me. I just today found that I
17 had 4 versions of db installed and I'm unsure wether i actually
18 _need_ all of them or if some users of db could do with a health
19 recompile towards a newer version.
20
21 I checked with "qpkg -q D" and it says "A,B,C" depends on it. I get
22 the same answer to "qpkg -q D-2" and "qpkg -q D-3", so apparently
23 qpkg -q only lists _possible_ dependencies according the the emerge
24 file and current installed versions of D, rather than the actually
25 compiled-in dependency.
26
27 Any suggestions as to how one can sort this out?
28
29 /A
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list