From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk3 useflag and support of older toolkits
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:15:03
1 On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:45:09 +0200
2 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o> wrote:
3 > Le samedi 23 juin 2012 à 14:40 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
4 > > I'd like to know why using USE flags until a nicer solution is
5 > > available
6 > > is sufficiently terrible that it warrants a hackaround.
7 >
8 > remember qt3/qt4, gtk/gtk2. We want to avoid repeating these
9 > "mistakes" hence the guidelines already exposed back when we
10 > introduced gtk3 to the tree.
11
12 We didn't have REQUIRED_USE or use dependencies back then. We do now.
13
14 > As you may have noticed, this is still the solution applied for things
15 > hard to split or slot like gtk-vnc or avahi but we didn't see the need
16 > to have such USE flags when the library was so easily slottable.
17
18 Again, REQUIRED_USE.
21 Ciaran McCreesh