From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] adding a code of conduct
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:21:15
1 Vapier wrote: [Mon Apr 03 2006, 04:38:48PM CDT]
2 > dont get me wrong, i hate documenting common sense as much as the next sane
3 > guy, but it seems Gentoo has come to the point where this needs to be done
4
5 Actually, I disagree that it "needs to be done". Once upon a time I
6 helped plasmaroo craft parts of our etiquette guide, but at the time I
7 assumed that it was a guide to help the clueless, not a rigid code that
8 we would be putting in place (and under which one could be prosecuted).
9 I think parts of the Ubuntu code are quite nice, but I still disagree
10 that we _need_ it.
11
12 > many thanks to the Ubuntu guys and to solar for doing the real work here:
13 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/xml/conduct.html
14
15 Um, do we have permission from the authors? Some of the sentences seem
16 to be word-for-word identical to the source. Incidentally, why drop the
17 part about leaving the project in a considerate manner?
18
19 > i dont see how anyone can be against this (unless you're a terrorist!), so
20 > this is on track to be integrated as-is into the dev handbook Etiquette
21 > section
22
23 A few points: The "be collaborative" stanza echoes our social policy,
24 so it's not clear that it's needed here. In any event, if we plan to
25 use this document to extend or otherwise clarify our social policy, then
26 I tend to think that does deserve some discussion. As for the bit about
27 "disruptive behaviors" being "a security and stability threat to
28 Gentoo", I assume that's Solar's contribution? It very much sounds like
29 his mindset that security should be pre-eminent. It's certainly a valid
30 point of view, but I don't happen to agree with it. I don't think that
31 security should trump all else. (Incidentally, I still fail to see
32 exactly how a tree dev whose tree access has been revoked differs from a
33 non-developer Gentoo user. Anybody, dev or not, can submit bugs and ask
34 devs to commit on his or her behalf.) In any event, I thought we had
35 devrel to handle suspending devs, unless there was some sort of clear
36 urgency that required infra to do so? Wasn't that the outcome of the
37 recent discussions?
38
39 -g2boojum-
40 --
41 Grant Goodyear
42 Gentoo Developer
43 g2boojum@g.o
44 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
45 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76