From: Bernd Steinhauser <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Ability to pass arguments to src_configure/src_compile
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 12:26:42
1 Vaeth wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> Having to write an ebuild just to install something in a package manager
4 >> friendly way and be able to uninstall it cleanly later is a defect
5 >
6 > No, this is exactly what ebuilds meant for: That the package manager
7 > keeps track of your package, and possibly also recompiles it in case
8 > of library upgrades. For this reason, ebuilds should essentially just
9 > consist of the commands which you would also type in the shell - this
10 > information *must* be provided (together with obviously some data like
11 > package name, slot-requests, and an otional description), but essentially
12 > that should be it.
13 > If it is more work or requires more knowledge to write an ebuild, then
14 > it is the ebuild concept which is defect.
15 >
16 So in your opinion, a future eapi should make ebuilds look closer to this?
17 http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mplayer/mplayer/PKGBUILD
18
19 Importare is a very useful and nice tool.
20 I don't understand, that Portage doesn't have something like that, yet.
21 (So they should consider doing something like that.)
22 When I was still using Gentoo, I did a lot of ebuilds for programs which
23 I found out, that they don't work afterwards.
24 Using package.provide isn't really nice either, because it then isn't
25 tracked.
26 With importare, I can first test it, and if it works, make an
27 ebuild/exheres and install that.
28 If you do that, it will automatically upgrade the importare'd package
29 and uninstall any leftovers, just like a normal update.
30
31 BTW, it is not a PM replacement, it is an addition.
32 You would be considered to be mad if you use importare for everything.
33
34 Regards,
35 Bernd