From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [patch] golang-vcs-snapshot.eclass: add vendoring of external dependencies
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 01:03:31
1 On Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:43:50 PM EST William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:08:12 PM EST Michael Orlitzky wrote:
3 > > Whether "-f" is appropriate or not depends on the context.
4 > >
5 > > With firebird, you expect all of those directories to exist, and you
6 > > want to be notified (so that you can update the ebuild) if one of them
7 > > isn't there. If upstream unbundles those three libraries and you're
8 > > doing "rm -rf", then you'll never notice, and that (now pointless) line
9 > > of code will stay there forever.
10 >
11 > I was assuming such. However that also means who ever is maintaining said
12 > package is not paying attention. Relying on || die to fail when/if one of
13 > those changes. Which I would think a safer way is to use -rf and not care if
14 > one is removed.
15 >
16 > In this specific package is also related to patches. Not just that bit in
17 > ebuild. Thus maintainer like would have noticed when patches failed. Seemed
18 > like needless nitpicking that just leads to confusion.
19
20 Along the lines of failures. What if a system has rm aliased to prompt before
21 removal? In that case rm -r would fail, but rm -fr would not. That would cause
22 failures for the user and not the developer. Assuming rm does not disable
23 prompt for a non-interactive shell.
26 William L. Thomson Jr.