From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 09:14:57
1 Dale posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2016 13:42:37 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > James Le Cuirot wrote:
4 >> On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 12:09:38 -0400 waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> I never really got the mentality that using an initramfs is a burden.
7 >>> One more piece of software that can go wrong. You have to
8 >>> maintain+configure it; e.g. sync software and library versions with
9 >>> what's on the rest of the system.
10 >> Errm, have you ever actually used dracut?
11 >>
12 >> dracut --kver 4.5
13 >>
14 >> Wow, that was hard! It requires zero configuration and that's true even
15 >> if you've got LVM on top of LUKS on top of RAID or something equally
16 >> complex. If you're already running that kernel version, you don't even
17 >> need to specify it.
18 >>
19 > FYI. I've had those to fail too. As Walt said, just one more thing to
20 > fail.
21
22 And more to the point, if all you know about dracut is dracut --kver 4.5,
23 then you're not going to be able to _fix_ those failures.
24
25 Some years ago I tried lvm2 as well as mdraid. I quickly ejected lvm2
26 from my system and future plans (keeping mdraid), because it was simply
27 too complex for me as an admin to be confident in my ability to work with
28 it without fat-fingering something, under the extreme pressure of a
29 disaster recovery situation, possibly without proper access to manpages
30 and other documentation due to the disaster recovery I was working thru.
31
32 Waltdnes has a point, the same point I learned then. As a responsible
33 admin, if the system's too complex to be understood well enough to be
34 confident in one's ability to restore in a disaster recovery situation
35 with limited or no access to manpages and similar documentation, it's too
36 complex. A reasonable system is one you understand well enough to
37 confidently manage it in those sorts of situations. Otherwise it's
38 simply too complex for your skill level as an admin.
39
40 And understanding an initr* well enough to confidently deal with a
41 disaster recovery situation, possibly/likely without access to
42 documentation (it's a disaster recovery, after all!) is definitely *well*
43 beyond "dracut --kver 4.5" level, so he's very right to be worried about
44 it.
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman