From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:09:41
1 On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 15:15, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Friday 21 November 2003 19:07, Erik Swanson wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 09:32, Jon Portnoy wrote:
4 > > > The social contract states that Gentoo Linux will never _depend_ on
5 > > > nonfree software. However, we still provide it. If we moved over to a
6 > > > Debian-esque "if you want nonfree software, you need to change settings"
7 > > > it would irritate a decently large number of people.
8 > >
9 > > My suggestion of a conservative default was under the assumption that it
10 > > would be trivial to accept additional licenses. An interactive "y" after
11 > > being shown the license, for example. I agree that a more liberal
12 > > default would be in order if it required substantial effort (such as
13 > > editing make.conf) to accept additional licenses.
14 >
15 > I don't want interactive "y"'s as in that case I cannot redirect my output to
16 > a logfile anymore.
17
18 Then don't "emerge enemy-territory" or "emerge ut2003"... =[
19
20 I had considered proposing the idea of some form of flag which can be
21 set from within an ebuild that tells portage that the ebuild is
22 "interactive" and would cause portage to skip that ebuild during a merge
23 unless a flag (variable, etc) were specified on the command-line.
24 Dependencies would be taken care of much like masked packages. Portage
25 would give an error at the beginning of a merge if one of the
26 dependencies for something you are merging is marked as interactive.
27
28 Something like INTERACTIVE=yes in the ebuild and emerge --interactive.
29 Otherwise the ebuild would be skipped (like in a emerge -u world),
30 preferably with some form of message displayed BEFORE the merge starts.
31
32 * Enemy Territory requires user input and will be skipped during this
33 emerge. You can diable this behavior by running emerge with the
34 --interactive command-line option.
35
36 Then again, that could be a serious PITA to code, so feel free to ignore
37 me at any time. =]
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Developer, Gentoo Linux
42 Games Team