From: Pierre-Yves Rofes <py@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-www category
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 09:04:25
1 On Mon, April 6, 2009 10:42 am, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009, Rémi Cardona wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>> en: The www-plugins category contains plugins for Web browsers.
5 >>>>> de: Die Kategorie www-plugins enthält Plugins für Webbrowser.
6 >>>> fr: Cette catégorie contient des plugins pour navigateurs Web.
7 >>>
8 >>> plugins -> greffons is the official translation.
9 >
10 >> If we want to be even more pedantic, we should use "butineur"
11 >> instead of "navigateur" ;)
12 >
13 > Assuming that the last two messages are serious, then it will be
14 > (the name of the category should be explicitly included):
15 >
16 > fr: La catégorie www-plugins contient des greffons pour butineurs Web.
17 >
18 > And I just learned that in German the word should be spelled Plug-in.
19 > (And no, we shouldn't translate "browser" as "Stöberer". ;-)
20 >
21 > Ulrich
25 In short:
26
27 The wonderful "French terminolgy and neologisms committee" (yeah, we have tons
28 of useless committees in France) tries to find a translation for every single
29 english term, like "browser". Sadly, the guys (Linus would've probably said
30 "masturbating monkeys", and he would be right) in the committee have probably
31 never used a computer, so they're totally clueless. This leads to ridiculous
32 random translations like "butineur". In theory it's the official translation,
33 in reality *nobody* uses their terms, except themselves maybe.
34
35 So, for god's sake, keep the first translation ("plugin pour navigateurs").
38 Pierre-Yves Rofes
39 Gentoo Linux Security Team