From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:03:31
1 Am Dienstag, 20. August 2013, 20:19:10 schrieb William Hubbs:
2 >
3 > I'm not really sure what the answer to this problem is, so I want to
4 > know what the group thinks about how we can handle it.
5 >
6 > During the last release of OpenRC, I learned that people *do* run
7 > production servers on ~arch. I asked about it and was told that the
8 > reason for this is bitrot in the stable tree.
11 Oh come on.
12
13 "I'm not sure what the problem is" would probably be a better reply.
14
15 Stable implies "not so often changing". If you really need newer packages on a
16 system that has to be rock-solid, then keyword what you need and nothing else.
17
18 There are many ways of doing that...
19 * --autounmask-write (imagine a time before that!)
20 * echo 'kde-base/*' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
21 * ...
22
23 My impression is that the stable bitrot has become a lot better. Even Gnome is
24 updating now... :D
25
26 Cheers,
27 Andreas
30 Andreas K. Huettel
31 Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)
32 dilfridge@g.o
33 http://www.akhuettel.de/