From: Daniel Ostrow <dostrow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:11:56
1 On Friday 24 March 2006 14:35, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > After reading through that fairly lengthy thread, I'm afraid that I can
3 > no longer tell exactly what is being proposed. Who has read access?
4 > Who has write access? Bugs are handled where, and by whom? Are we
5 > considering a fairly tightly controlled system, or a wild free-for-all?
6 > Exactly which problem are we proposing to solve here?
7 >
8 > If someone could succinctly summarize the current schools of thought,
9 > I'd be quite indebted.
12 As I understand it...
13
14 o.g.o would be used to host developer and team based overlays that are owned
15 an operated by existing Gentoo devs. Users would not be able to create their
16 own overlays hosted on this system. The developer(s) who own the overlay
17 would be able to control the granularity of access ranging from developers
18 only, to developers plus a few trusted users, to full public ro access.
19
20 As far as I read it, who handles the bugs and by what means at this point is
21 still up in the air as there seem to be some groups that would rather handle
22 bugs through their own mechanisims, be that IRC, e-mail, trac whathaveyou and
23 those that would like to be able to track bugs through bugs.g.o.
24
25 There is also the question of limiting the number of 'false' bug reports based
26 uppon overlay usage, it seems that the best way to work through this is by
27 augmenting the output of emerge --info. Things like a list of overridden
28 eclasses in the output and the capability to add a package as an arguement to
29 emerge --info in order to see if it is coming from an overlay seem to be good
30 starting points.
31
32 On a less technical note there is also the question of using the o.g.o
33 frontpage as a means to point to existing repositiories of user created
34 overlays in order to promote them.
35
36 Hope that helps,
39 Daniel Ostrow