From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild laziness and binpkg overhead
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 07:49:43
1 On 06/13/2012 06:02 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > i've noticed a growing trend where people put setup of variables into
3 > pkg_setup that only matter to src_* funcs presumably so they don't have to
4 > call the respective src_* func from an inherited eclass. unfortunately this
5 > adds pointless overhead to binpkgs. can we please move away from this
6 > practice ?
7 >
8 > i've seen this with a good number of the GNOME packages like:
9 > pkg_setup() {
10 > G2CONF="${G2CONF}
11 > --disable-bash-completion
12 > --disable-hal
13 > --disable-schemas-compile
14 > --with-dbus-service-dir=/usr/share/dbus-1/services
15 > $(use_enable afp)
16 > $(use_enable archive)
17 > $(use_enable avahi)
18 > $(use_enable bluetooth obexftp)
19 > $(use_enable bluray)
20 > $(use_enable cdda)
21 > $(use_enable fuse)
22 > $(use_enable gdu)
23 > $(use_enable gphoto2)
24 > $(use_enable ios afc)
25 > $(use_enable udev)
26 > $(use_enable udev gudev)
27 > $(use_enable http)
28 > $(use_enable gnome-keyring keyring)
29 > $(use_enable samba)"
30 > }
31 >
32 > ugh
33 > -mike
36 Every Xfce ebuild in gentoo-x86 is using pkg_setup() for 3 variables,
37 DOCS for src_install, PATCHES for src_prepare, and XFCONF for src_configure
38
39 No way we will add all 3 phases to every Xfce ebuild since that would
40 defeat the purpose of the xfconf.eclass which is designed so that we
41 cope with 99,0% using just pkg_setup()
42
43 Using all 3 vars would also likely mean that the diff's for xfce-overlay
44 for 9999 ebuilds would increase to "unmaintainable stage" (the 9999
45 ebuilds are generated from gentoo-x86, not the otherway around)
46
47 The pros overweight the cons * N
48
49 - Samuli