From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: My first ebuild: GNU Hello
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 20:24:50
1 James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:39:18PM +0000, Marco Maggesi wrote:
4 >> > I'd suggest adding autoconf and automake to the DEPENDS.
5 >>
6 >> I added autoconf, automake as you suggested. But I do not understand
7 >> exactly why this is necessary. They should not be needed to build
8 >> from
9 >> the tarball. Can you explain more?
10 >
11 > Ah, I thought it needed auto{conf,make}, it turns out it's just a
12 > good template for them.
13
14 [...]
15
16 That's true. Generally, if the source comes with a configure script
17 named "configure", then you don't need autotools[1] dependencies. If
18 you have to re-create the configure or Makefile.in files from the
19 configure.in or Makefile.am templates as part of your ebuild, then
20 you would need to depend on the autotools.
21
22 Matt
23
24 Footnotes: