From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:26:28
1 On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 04:19:04PM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Thursday 27 November 2003 04:12 pm, Jason Wever wrote:
6 > > My $0.02 is that if this gets implemented, it should be put in so that the
7 > > default behavior is like portage is now,
8 > Since Portage as it is right now doesn't pay any attention to licenses, its
9 > legality could be questioned (as with the games issue before?)
10
11 I explained this to you the other day.
12 In addition to what I said at the time: installing software, using
13 software, and redistributing software are all very different animals.
14
15 [snip]
16 > >From a support perspective, if this gets implemented, I'm forwarding all
17 > > of these questions, bugs, etc to the "free and only free" software folks.
18 > > Please dont' take away one "freedom" for another.
19 > As long as there is an option (editing the ACCEPT_LICENSES), there is no
20 > freedom being removed.
21
22 Indeed. Now we're discussing convienence.
25 Jon Portnoy
26 avenj/irc.freenode.net
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list