From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 20:20:13
1 >>>>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2022, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > I could force this in the eclass with the following flow if I know how
4 > to tell if the ebuild inheriting it is in the main tree or not:
5
6 > # in_main_tree is a place holder for a test to see if the ebuld running
7 > # this is in the tree
8 > if [[ -n ${EGO_SUM} && in_main_tree ]]; then
9 > eqawarn "EGO_SUM is not allowed in the main tree"
10 > eqawarn "This will become a fatal error in the future"
11 > fi
12
13 > The only question is, is there a way to reliably tell whether or not
14 > we are in the main tree?
15
16 An eclass has no legitimate way to find out in which repository it is.
17 The rationale is that users should be able to copy ebuilds and eclasses
18 to their local overlays, and they should work there in the same way.
19
20 There is an internal (and undocumented) Portage variable, but that
21 shouldn't be used.
22
23 Ulrich