From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes in libreoffice ebuild
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:39:59
1 On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:00:57 -0400
2 Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o> wrote:
3 > Tomáš, considering that libreoffice and libreoffice-bin were both
4 > broken on ~arch (so ~arch users did not have a compatible office
5 > suite to fall back on); the bug had 33 people in the CC list; a
6 > working patch was submitted, with a justification for why it is the
7 > correct solution, and was verified to work; and your response was
8 > (paraphrased) "I will look at this later" - I personally think that a
9 > small violation of openoffice team policies could in this particular
10 > case be forgiven.
11 >
12 > In addition, the policy itself is IMHO rather strange.
13 >
14 > If the goal is to ensure that any gentoo patch is visible to upstream
15 > developers and to libreoffice maintainers from other distros, so that
16 > they can merge it if they agree with the implementation, surely it
17 > would make no difference whether the patch got submitted to gerrit by
18 > Patrick before committing to gx86, or by you a week later? [1]
19 >
20 > On the other hand, if the goal is to avoid any divergence from
21 > upstream, presumably you want to first obtain feedback from upstream
22 > developers and an indication that they will merge the patch - in
23 > which case merely submitting something to gerrit, without waiting for
24 > upstream developer response, doesn't make sense.
25 >
26 > [1] on August 11, you had indicated that you would have time to look
27 > at the bug in ~10 days time.
28
29 Your arguments make sense but you should also consider it the other
30 way: When you are maintaining a package properly by forwarding patches
31 upstream, having $randomdev jumping in, adding a patch, and letting you
32 clean up the mess is kind of annoying.
33
34 Part of Tomas' original email was: I've googled it for you, now would
35 you please submit that patch upstream and be forgiven?
36
37 Alexis.